Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Nights, Christmas Lights

So we have these beautiful lights that we picked up last holiday season to hang on our front door.



They're gorgeous, but incredibly delicate. I pulled them out of a box, smushed under a hundred and one others, in the back of our storage closet. To my dismay, 3 of the glass globes had broken. I was so upset! The package came with extra replacement globes, but we had already used them -- hanging on our front door was traumatic to the lights, every time someone slammed the door too hard the globes banged against the wood and I grimaced.

Then suddenly, a light bulb went on in my head! (Pun intended)
I decided to make my own globes from more durable plastic.

This is a super simple idea that anyone can do!

You only need:
  1. A string of lights
  2. Ping pong balls
I picked up 30 ping pong balls at target for my string of lights. Expect to pay about 2 bucks per pack of 6. The next step is to use a drill or nail to poke a small hole in each ping pong ball. Wriggle the light light into the hole, and voila! A glowing sphere of light.

The best thing about this project is the versatility. The possibilities are endless! You can use a ping pong ball per light, but spacing them out also looks quite nice. Get festive with colored lights.


My personal favorite is blue light. I took a strand, popped some ping pong balls on them, and strung them around my room, which now looks like a gorgeous starry night.


No comments:

Post a Comment